1816 | Snyder’s Tavern
In 1816, John Snyder, a Philadelphia innkeeper, acquired a tract of land along a stagecoach route in Lower Salford Township, 25 miles northwest of Philadelphia. Inns (Public Houses) were established along these routes to provide food, drink, and shelter for travelers and a social club for the neighborhood. Snyder built a small stone tavern along the original bed of Sumneytown Pike. Snyder’s Tavern was the earlier of two established inns in Mainland, Lower Salford.
Taverns were often the largest room in villages and the place where lectures, entertainment, political speeches and dances were held. The indispensable feature was the bar. Farmers would gather at taverns to quench their thirst as well as to hear news from travelers. Inns were often the rendezvous of politicians and a polling place for elections.
Today, the tavern serves as the waiting room for clients of Asset Planning Services.
1850 | Home Addition Faces New Sumneytown-Spring House Turnpike
In 1848, the Sumneytown-Spring House turnpike road (Sumneytown Pike) was built on the northeast side of the property. In 1850, when Jacob H. Alderfer built his two-story red brick home as an addition to the tavern that he acquired three years earlier, it was natural for him to face his house to the new road, and in front of the old stone tavern.
Many elements of the home built by Jacob Alderfer in 1850 can still be seen today. Original random width floors over exposed oak beams grace the structure and are in excellent condition. Oak framework around the windows is in evidence. Doorways are low and the ceilings are high. Original frame-and-panel doors with mortise-and-tenon joints secured with wood pegs and black iron hardware remain to this day. Prior to extensive renovation by APS in 1994, hand-hewn beams with wood-pinned rafters supported the roof. An original mid-nineteenth century fireplace is located in the cellar. The cellar fireplace was probably used for farm cooking. The cellar beams exhibit old circular saw marks, a contrast to the hand-hewn attic beams, although still old.
The property continued as a family residence for the ensuing 140 years until 1990, when the property was acquired by Richard Volpe for use as the offices of Asset Planning Services. Families that owned and lived in the property for that century and a half included the names of Delp, Booz, Reider, Myers, Betjemann, Whitaker, Hogan, Stefonick, Dunham, and Martin. During the 1980s, Robert Martin is credited with the significant interior restoration to its turn-of-the-century appearance.
1990 | Evergreen Homestead Welcomes Asset Planning Services
In 1990, Asset Planning Services moved their offices from Skippack to Harleysville. The name “Evergreen Homestead” was resurrected after reviewing turn-of-the-century photographs of the property that included an inscription of this name. In 1993, architectural plans were created to expand the building while maintaining as much of the original property character as possible. During the excavation for the expansion in 1994, an old hand-dug and stone-lined well in pristine condition was discovered. A decision was made to preserve this unique asset, and incorporate it into lobby’s floor plan via a “window in the floor.”
Today, Evergreen Homestead has been designated as a Montgomery County Historic Place.